One of the most common objections I hear from people attempting a high-raw, plant-based lifestyle is that there’s nothing to eat at restaurants, or that they think they can’t go to places with their friends or coworkers for lunch because they think they’ll have to eat the Larabar in their purse for lunch. Let’s put a stop to that myth–there are plenty of places that actually will serve you plant-based raw or high raw dishes that are more than a boring side salad, (if a place served only salad to raw vegans, it had to be an interesting salad,), and the following are just a few:
- Cheesecake Factory strawberries, salads, lettuce wraps. This place is truly a hidden gem for raw vegans who want to eat out with friends and not be bored to death with yet another garden salad. A plate of strawberries is always delicious (forgo the whipped cream, though,) they have a wide variety of salads, and the lettuce wraps (order them without the chicken) are by default vegan and can be made totally raw.
- Chipotle burrito-style salad. Vegan burrito options include the beans, rice, corn, fajita vegetables, lettuce, guacamole, and salsa. You can have it raw by creating a salad from the available raw vegetables, including a couple of lemon or lime slices to top it off with for an extra kick.
- Denny’s salads, fruit plates, (vegetable sandwich). Obviously your raw options here are the fruit plate (maybe order 2) and the salad, and if you want to stay high-raw, a vegetable sandwich might be more up your alley.
- Panera Bread salads (and soups). The soups aren’t going to be raw, but several are vegan (and labeled as such). Panera gets fairly creative with their salads, offering them topped with fruit, nuts, etc. depending on the time of the year. Don’t be afraid to order a “meat” salad without the meat, if the rest of the salad sounds good–trust me, they save money that way anyway!
- PF Changs lettuce wraps, salad. Ask for the vegetables fresh, not wok-seared, leave off the tofu, and you get a raw vegan dish. They also offer salads.
- Red Robin fruit sides, salads. They offer apples, carrots, celery, and more as “sides”, so you could easily assemble a meal out of these. Or get a salad, and choose from toppings like avocado, apple, peppers, and more. The sesame dressing is vegan but not raw.
- Ruby Tuesday salad bar. This pretty much leaves the combinations up to you; enough said!
- Subway salad, any way you want it. Last time I was there, they had spinach and avocado as options for salad toppings, and with both, I hardly felt I needed dressing. If you do need dressing, the sweet onion dressing is vegan but not raw, and the same goes for oil and vinegar
- Taco Bell veggie Cantina Bowl (r). By default, this comes with rice, beans, and some sort of creamy sauce, but you can easily order this dish without those options. Get a cantina bowl with just the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and guacamole, and it’s totally raw…actually one of the better raw vegan fast food dishes out there!
Help me grow this list…what are some places YOU have been and discovered a raw vegan option? Leave your suggestions in the comments below!